Home/News ( 2013 )
News
share

Windies seeking to hand Zimbabwe winless tour

Wed, 20 Mar 2013 01:58 PM

Roseau (Dominica), March 20: Assistant coach Toby Radford says the West Indies are coming out with guns blazing in an attempt to send the Zimbabwe players back to Harare empty handed, when the second Test begins here Wednesday.


The two sides play each other in a second and deciding test at Windsor Park in Roseau following the West Indies nine-wicket win at Kensington, their fifth straight win in Test.


The Caribbean side will be looking for their sixth consecutive win - going back to August last year when they beat New Zealand in Antigua and Jamaica; and last November when they beat Bangladesh in Dhaka and Khulna.


"Every game is important. We want to make sure the Zimbabweans don't win a game on this tour. We want to send them home empty-handed," said Radford.


"We have had a really good run in Test cricket this last year - we did well against New Zealand, we did really well in Bangladesh and we would like to follow that up with a complete sweep here as well."


The game will be Zimbabwe's last opportunity to salvage some pride after losing every international match on their Caribbean tour.


They have already suffered heavy losses in the One-Day Internationals 0-3 at the Grenada National Stadium and took the T20s 2-0 at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground in Antigua.


The Zimbabwe cricketers will have their work cut out for them on a surface expected to provide bounce against inform spinner Shane Shillingford playing in front his home crowd.

© IANS

Relatednews

  • St. George's (Grenada), Jan 13 : West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has given his full backing to new one-day skipper Jason Holder. The 23-year-old pacer was surprisingly named the replacement to Dwayne Bravo last month for the five-match ODI series in South Africa starting Fri..
  • Johannesburg, Jan 13 : South Africa T20 skipper Faf du Plessis has lavished praises on West Indies swashbuckling opener Chris Gayle for his blistering knock during the second T20 match at the Wanderers, where the tourists won the match by four wickets. Gayle, who blasted 90 from just 41 deliveries,..
  • Durban (South Africa), Jan 13 : Captain Darren Sammy is hoping to rest several players for the third and final Twenty20 International here Wednesday with the series already wrapped up, but has impressed upon his unit the importance of making a clean sweep. The West Indies arrived here Monday fresh ..
  • London, Jan 13 : West Indies swashbuckling opener Chris Gayle has criticized West Indies Cricket Board for omitting Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the upcoming World Cup squad, describing the move as victimization towards them. Bravo and Pollard caught the ire of the selectors following a pay..
  • Johannesburg, Jan 12: West Indies captain Darren Sammy has said there was never any doubt his side could produce a world record chase to beat South Africa in the second Twenty20 International at the Wanderers. Set 232 for victory Sunday, the Windies pulled off the highest run chase in the history o..
  • St George's (Grenada), Jan 12: West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has rejected claims that all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard were axed from the World Cup squad because of their roles in the controversial abandoned tour of India. Neither player was named in the 15-mem..
  • Capetown, Jan 12: The West Indies opener Chris Gayle has blasted the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the Clive Lloyd-led selection panel for dropping senior all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the World Cup squad. Gayle termed the move as “ridiculous” and felt it was a case of “v..
  • Johannesburg, Jan 11: The West Indies registered the highest run chase in Twenty20 history as they beat South Africa by four wickets in a thrilling game here Sunday. Hosts South Africa posted the fourth highest T20 international score of 231 for seven, propelled by skipper Faf du Plessis's 119 from..
  • St. John's (Antigua), Jan 11 : The West Indies selectors have excluded experienced campaigners Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the side's squad for the 2015 cricket World Cup, sticking with the controversial decision that saw both players also dumped for the ongoing South Africa series. Both a..
  • St. John's (Antigua), Jan 10 : The cash-strapped West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has struck a four-year rights deal with global sports giant ESPN to broadcast the NAGICO Super50 in the Caribbean. The deal takes effect from this year's edition of the tournament, scheduled to be played in Trinidad a..
advertisement
2005-2015 vCricket.com All rights reserved. Version 7.4
Follow us on