Home/News ( 2011 )
News
share

Umpires abandon match after players show dissent over boundary

Tue, 20 Sep 2011 06:02 PM

Hamilton (Bermuda), Sep 20: Two Barbados-born umpires abandoned a match amid a row over a boundary as fresh controversy hit the game on the island.


Hector Watson and Melvin Best called off Sunday's Premier Division match between Bailey's Bay and Willow Cuts at Sea Breeze Oval, after several Bay players showed serious dissent over their decision to allow the boundary, the Royal Gazette newspaper said Monday.


The game was cut short with Willlow Cuts - who were at the centre of another abandonment two weeks ago - on seven without loss, in reply to Bailey's Bay's 240 all out.


The flashpoint came in the first over of Willows Cuts' innings. A delivery from Kyle Hodsoll brushed batsman Chris Douglas' pads and was fielded by Burton Outerbridge at long leg.


But square-leg umpire Watson advised his colleague that Outerbridge's leg was on the boundary rope when he gathered the ball and a four was eventually signalled.


This sparked outrage among Bailey's Bay players, with former team captain Irving Romaine reportedly among those showing dissent, the Gazette said.


Both umpires eventually decided to walk off.


The incident was witnessed by national coach David Moore and Bermuda Cricket Board Vice President Allen Richardson, who tried in vain to get the match restarted after having a brief meeting with the umpires and representatives of both teams.


Neither offered any immediate comment on the latest bout of ill-discipline.


But Bermuda Cricket Umpires Association secretary Richard Austin, who is also Barbadian, said his colleagues will no longer tolerate bad behaviour from players.


"It is unfortunate... having to take this sort of action is not something that we take lightly," said Austin, adding that he did not have the full facts.


"What we can say is that players must be mindful that the umpires are not there to be the target of any abuse whatsoever. And if the abuse continues and the umpires figure it becomes a direct threat to them then that is the action they will likely take at any time."


Sunday's flare-up came two weeks after Willow Cuts' match against Devonshire at Devonshire Recreation Club was also abandoned.


Jamaican umpire Lester Harnett called off the match, after colleague Bobby Smith walked off the field, when they were subjected to what he claims were verbal threats stemming from Willow Cuts' dressing room.


Willow Cuts' teenaged all-rounder Deunte Darrell, already on probation, was subsequently banned from playing for a year for a string of offences, including showing strong dissent over Harnett's decision to abandon the match.


Darrell later lost his appeal against the suspension.


Last month veteran Bermuda batsman Lionel Cann quit the remainder of his club side St. David's matches, after complaining he saw some of his team-mates smoking marijuana in the changing room in front of his 13-year-old son.


St. David's, who clinched the 50-over league championship Sunday after thrashing neighbours St. George's by nine wickets, later identified the culprits and suspended them, as well as making them write an apology to the club.

© IANS

Relatednews

  • Sun, 18-Jan-2015
    Johannesburg, Jan 18 : Premier South African batsman AB de Villiers Sunday cracked the fastest century in One-Day International (ODI) history, reaching three figures in just 31 deliveries against the West Indies at the New Wanderers Stadium here. The previous One-Day International record was held b..
  • Wed, 14-Jan-2015
    Durban, Jan 14: The West Indies' historic successful run chase to beat South Africa in the second Twenty20 International was a perfect birthday gift to him, team manager Richie Richardson has said. Richardson, one of the finest batsmen to have played for the West Indies, watched from the dugout as ..
  • Wed, 14-Jan-2015
    Kingston (Jamaica), Jan 14: West Indies selectors' chairman Clive Lloyd has said he is disappointed with comments made by opener Chris Gayle criticising the decision to omit Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the squad for next month's cricket World Cup. Gayle suggested victimisation in the omiss..
  • Tue, 13-Jan-2015
    Kingston (Jamaica), Jan 13: West Indies chief cricket selector Clive Lloyd has said the omission of Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the ICC World Cup squad is no act of victimisation for their roles in the controversial abandoned tour of India. Bravo and Pollard were not named in the 15-man sq..
  • Tue, 13-Jan-2015
    St. George's (Grenada), Jan 13 : West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has given his full backing to new one-day skipper Jason Holder. The 23-year-old pacer was surprisingly named the replacement to Dwayne Bravo last month for the five-match ODI series in South Africa starting Fri..
  • Tue, 13-Jan-2015
    Johannesburg, Jan 13 : South Africa T20 skipper Faf du Plessis has lavished praises on West Indies swashbuckling opener Chris Gayle for his blistering knock during the second T20 match at the Wanderers, where the tourists won the match by four wickets. Gayle, who blasted 90 from just 41 deliveries,..
  • Tue, 13-Jan-2015
    Durban (South Africa), Jan 13 : Captain Darren Sammy is hoping to rest several players for the third and final Twenty20 International here Wednesday with the series already wrapped up, but has impressed upon his unit the importance of making a clean sweep. The West Indies arrived here Monday fresh ..
  • Tue, 13-Jan-2015
    London, Jan 13 : West Indies swashbuckling opener Chris Gayle has criticized West Indies Cricket Board for omitting Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the upcoming World Cup squad, describing the move as victimization towards them. Bravo and Pollard caught the ire of the selectors following a pay..
  • Mon, 12-Jan-2015
    Johannesburg, Jan 12: West Indies captain Darren Sammy has said there was never any doubt his side could produce a world record chase to beat South Africa in the second Twenty20 International at the Wanderers. Set 232 for victory Sunday, the Windies pulled off the highest run chase in the history o..
  • Mon, 12-Jan-2015
    St George's (Grenada), Jan 12: West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has rejected claims that all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard were axed from the World Cup squad because of their roles in the controversial abandoned tour of India. Neither player was named in the 15-mem..
advertisement
2005-2015 vCricket.com All rights reserved. Version 7.4
Follow us on