Home/News ( 2010 )
News
share

Australia beat Pakistan by 2 runs to complete a summer clean-sweep

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 06:30 PM

Melbourne, Feb 5 : World Twenty20 champion Pakistan on Friday failed to end their disastrous Australia tour on happy note, as they lost the only Twenty20 match at Melbourne Cricket Ground by two runs.


Pakistan were a different outfit in the field and dismissed the home side for a paltry 127 runs in 18.4 overs, but their batting fell the same way it did in the three Tests and five one-dayers as Australia fought back to dismiss them for 9-125 in their 20 overs.


Australia elected to bat first after winning the toss and cruised to 1-50 in 60 overs, before Pakistan bowlers struck back to take wickets at regular intervals.


The home side lost their last nine wickets for 73 and only David Hussey (40 not out), Michael Clarke (32) and David Warner (24) reached double figures.


Hussey ran out of partners with eight balls remaining, against some good bowling from Umar Gul (3-20) and Shoaib Malik (2-31) and sharp fielding, which included three run-outs, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.


Pakistan’s reply got off to a bad start, as opening pair Imran Farhat and Imran Nazir went back to pavilion on the score of 10.


Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait was the star with 3-11, as he claimed wickets in his second and third over.


Tait also struck in his 15th over, where he removed the dangerous Kamran Akmal, whose 64 from 33 balls had the tourists headed for a breakthrough win.


Dirk Nannes and Shane Watson bowled brilliantly at the death and conceded nine runs in the final two overs as Pakistan finished 9-125, even though Mohammad Asif hit the last ball for four.

© ANI

Relatednews

  • Wellington, Jan 13 : Cricket Australia is reportedly set to trial a series of pink-ball tests at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday along with Australia's Nine Network in preparations for the inaugural day-night Test against New Zealand. Australia's next home Test series is against New Zealand ..
  • Sydney, Jan 13 : Australian all-rounder Glenn Maxwell revealed Tuesday that he was “desperate” to get a call from the national selectors for the cricket World Cup after a disastrous form with the bat in the last few months. "You have no idea. I had plenty of doubtsobviously with the last month I'v..
  • Wellington, Jan 13 : Former Pakistani refugee-turned Australian leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed is hopeful of making the Test debut that has escaped him since being granted citizenship in Australia. However, Ahmed has said that making a contribution to domestic side Victoria in the Sheffield Shield must re..
  • Sydney, Jan 13 : Australian wicketkeeper Matthew Wade has claimed that if an opportunity comes for him to play in the World Cup he would get a chance to play and is hopeful of taking his chance if that happens, despite being omitted from the 15-man World Cup squad. Wade insisted that he would be re..
  • Wellington, Jan 13 : Former England cricketer Jonathan Agnew has said that he is disappointed by the Australian cricket team's failure to keep themselves from aggressive sledging on the field against India in light of honouring late batsman Phillip Hughes' memory. The reputed BBC presenter said tha..
  • Sydney, Jan 13 : With the World Cup just a month away, Australia pacer Ryan Harris has expressed his disappointment and said he felt like a “bowling machine” on the batsman-friendly wickets. It was on these wickets that Australia captain Steven Smith and India captain Virat Kohli made tons of runs ..
  • Sydney, Jan 13 : Australian pace bowler Ryan Harris is likely to miss the forthcoming West Indies tour in June in order to attend the birth of his first child. The veteran bowler said that he was not sure about the West Indies tour as he had got a baby due early June which was when the tour was on,..
  • London, Jan 13 : England pacer James Anderson has said "doubts" surfaced in his mind about bowling in the wake of Australian batsman Phillip Hughes's death. Hughes was struck by a bouncer in a domestic match Nov 25 and died two days later from its effects. "In the week after, I was having huge dou..
  • Sydney, Jan 12 : Former Australian Test cricketer Michael Hussey has said that injured captain Michael Clarke should have been given two more weeks time to recover rather than the deadline of Feb 21 by the selectors, when the Aussies take on Bangladesh in their second group encounter in the World Cu..
  • Sydney, Jan 12: Australia's national team selector Rod Marsh has claimed that skipper Michael Clarke might be required to bowl in the World Cup, indicating that the skipper might need to take on his role as an all-rounder in the tournament. If Clarke overcomes the odds to be passed fit for the Worl..
advertisement
2005-2015 vCricket.com All rights reserved. Version 7.4
Follow us on